Toffee Apple Shortcake
A hearty, warming recipe for a perfect family pud during these colder days and nights... including gluten-free and dairy-free ingredient substitutes.
Shortcake base & topping:
125g Butter *Use sunflower oil or almond butter as a dairy-free, vegan-free substitute
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Egg *Use ½ banana as a dairy-free, vegan friendly substitute
280g Self Raising Flour *Use oat flour or coconut flour with additional baking powder as a gluten-free substitute
4 x Large Cooking Apples (Peeled and Sliced, Sprinkle with Lemon Juice)
50g Toffee (broken into small pieces)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (1 lemon)
1 Tbsp Cornflour
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Line a baking rectangle tin with baking paper.
- Process sugar in a food processor until fine, add butter and vanilla essence and process until creamy.
- Add the egg and combine before adding flour. Keep combining until a ball is formed. Divide dough in three and wrap in plastic wrap, chill for 30 minutes.
- Combine apple, toffee, sugar, lemon juice, cornflour and cinnamon. Use two pieces of the dough and press evenly into the base of prepared tin, cover with the apple filling. Crumble the remaining dough over the apples.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180ºC and continue to bake for a further 25-30 minutes until cool.
Our scrumptious Seriously Sticky Toffee Muffin is a perfet treat for those colder winter days... warm up in the microwave for 20 seconds and then add custard or cream all over the top. Available for delivery direct to your door!