Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes
Comfort food at its best, this recipe for sticky toffee cupcakes will make you look forward to a night in this winter...
You will need: x1 12 hole muffin tin, paper muffin cases, x3 mixing bowls, electric whisk, measuring jug, wire rack for cooling and a piping bag.
For the cakes:
- 180g pitted and dried dates
- 180ml boiling water
- 80g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 130g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 180g plain flour
- 90g tinned caramel/dulce de leche
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 160g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 50ml milk
- 100g tinned caramel or dulce de leche
- Toffee/Fudge pieces or Hazelnuts to decoate (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4 and line the muffin tin with the paper cases.
- Finely chop the dried dates and place in a mixing bowl along with the boiling water and leave to soak for approx 20 mins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Once combined, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Gradually fold into the wet mix, beating until smooth.
- Once thoroughly combined add the chopped dates along with any remaining liquid plus the vanilla and the dulce leche. Stir well to ensure the dates are evenly dispersed.
- Add the mixture to the muffin cases, filling each one until 2/3rds full. Bake for 20mins until the sponge springs back when touched.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Whilst the cakes cool you can make the buttercream. Beat together the butter and sifted icing sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs. You may have to do this by hand to stop the icing sugar flying all over the kitchen. Gradually add the milk and dulce leche and beat until smooth and fluffy. Do not over beat the mixture as this will cause the buttercream to become limp.
- Decorate with the toffee/fudge pieces, or whole hazelnuts. If you’re feeling brave and you have some remaining dulce leche, try piping it onto the cupcakes to make little star or flower shapes.
Need a quick, fuss free toffee fix? Try our Sticky Toffee Muffins, available to order now for home delivery.