Devilishly Decadent Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe
You will need: 13 x 9inch swiss roll tin, rolling pin, x2 mixing bowls, palette knife
For the Shortbread:
- 250g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g butter, softened
For the Topping:
- 2 x 397g cans dulce de leche ( Or full fat sweetened condensed milk if you cannot find dulce de leche)
- 200g plain or milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- Crushed Honeycomb to decorate (optional)
NB: If you are unable to find dulce de leche, you can make the caramel topping by boiling condensed milk continually for 3 hours. Simple remove the labels on the cans, leave them unopened, place in a saucepan filled 2/3 with cold water and bring to the boil. Keep boiling for 3 hours making sure the pan does not dry out. After 3 hours, carefully remove from the water and leave to cool before opening.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180'C/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease the Swiss roll tin.
- To make the shortbread, mix the flour and caster sugar together in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough, gently roll out and press into the base of the prepared tin. Prick the dough lightly with a fork and bake for about 20 minutes or until firm and light brown in colour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cooled, spread the dulce de leche over the shortbread in a generous layer and chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a Bain Marie and pour over the chilled caramel and shortbread, smoothing over with the pallet knife. Sprinkle with crushed honeycomb and leave to cool at room temperature. Once set, cut into squares or bars.
If you're short for time, try our Delicious Caramel Shortcake, the perfect naughty tea time treat!