You will need:- Electric whisk, x3 mixing bowls, sieve, baking spatula, wooden spoon, x1 12 hole cupcake tin and 12 standard size paper cases.
For The Cakes
- 100g plain flour
- 25g Good quality cocoa powder (extra for dusting)
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings to decorate (optional)
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For The Frosting
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 90g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 40 cocoa powder, sifted
- 40ml whole milk
- Pre-Heat Oven to 170C gas Mark 3 and line the cake tray with the paper cases.
- In a mixing bowl sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add the sugar and butter and mix until combined and you form a sandy, breadcrumb texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla extract together, and add to the dry mix slowly, gently beating until a smooth mixture is formed. Do not over beat.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases and bake for 20mins or until the sponge springs back when gently pressed.
- Once cooked, remove from oven, and leave for 5 minutes before turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst the cakes cool down you can make the butter cream. Sieve together the icing sugar and cocoa powder until combined. Chop the butter into chunks and add to the mix.
- Beat on a high speed, gradually adding the milk until a smooth, lump free mixture is formed. Do not over beat as this will cause the buttercream to lose its shape when piped.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, pipe the buttercream on top and finish with chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder.
In a hurry? Then why not try our delicious Chocolate Ecstasy Cupcakes and save yourself the hassle and the washing up!