Gluten-Free Clementine Cake
Looking for an alternative to the tradtional Yule log this Christmas? Then try our delicious Gluten-free Clementine Cake.
You will need:- x1 8inch cake tin, foil, x2 saucepans , a food processor and a wire rack for cooling
- 4 medium sized clementines approx 400g
- 5 large free range eggs
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 250g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
For the glaze
- Juice of 3 clementines
- 75 g caster sugar
- Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours.
- Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC/375ºF. Butter and line a 21cm / 8 inch Springform tin.
- Bitz the cooled clementines in the food processor, keeping the skin on.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and blend until you form a smooth batter.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin, cover with foil and bake for an hour. After 40mins remove the foil so that the cakes has time to brown in colour.
- Test the cake has cooked by inserting a clean skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven once done, keeping the cake in its tin leave to cool on the wire rack.
- Whist the cake cools make the glaze. Zest and juice the clementines, removing all pips.
- Place the juice and sugar in a pan and heat over a medium setting. Gently stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil, and allow to boil for approx 3mins not stirring during this time. Once it is syrupy in consistency remove from the heat.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove from the tin. Using a clean skewer gently make holes in the top reaching half way through the cake. Pour the syrup over and allow to set.
- Serve with whipped cream or crème fraiche.