Chocolate Salted Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes
With the dark cosy night’s drawing in, what better way to spend them than putting your feet up with a cosy blanket, good film and a delicious popcorn cupcake or 2….. Yum!
225g Plain Flour
200g Light Brown Soft Sugar
150g Cocoa Powder
125g Butter (softened)
2 Large Eggs
2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
2 Tsp Baking Powder
20g Salted Caramel Popcorn (ready made)
FOR THE ICING
200g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
100g Cocoa Powder
80ml Double Cream
250g Icing Sugar (sieved)
Pinch of sea salt
Popcorn To Decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, and line two muffin tins with 16 muffin cases.
- Use an electric whisk to cream together the butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy (for about 4-5 minutes). Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the golden syrup.
- . In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add this gradually into the butter and egg mixture until a thick batter forms. Finally, stir in the milk and popcorn.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cakes are risen, dark chocolate brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar and double cream and simmer over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until smooth and bubbling. Remove from the heat and sieve the icing sugar and cooca powder together into the mix. Beat the sugar and salt in using a wooden spoon until the icing is thick, chocolate brown and holds its shape.
- Spoon a dollop of icing onto the top of each cupcake and use a palette knife to spread it out to the edges. Or you can use a piping bag to make a swirl of icing layer on top. Top each cake with a few pieces of popcorn to finish. (These cupcakes will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge, if they last that long…!)